EMFs (Electromagnetic Fields) are absolutely everywhere and the research on the effects they have on human health are pretty alarming.
Hopefully by now EMFs are at least on your radar and you know what they are. If not, allow me to enlighten you! In this article I’m going to cover how EMFs affect our health, what kinds of things are sources of EMFs and 3 actionable things you can do to mitigate their effects. Because let’s face it, none of us (myself included) can completely go without electronic devices these days. Unless you want to be Amish. I’m only half joking when I say that. The more I learn about health the smarter those folks get.
For those of you who raise an eyebrow reading about this and think I’m a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, first of all, thank you. I take that as a compliment. Second, unfortunately you don’t get shrug this one off. There’s literally thousands of peer reviewed scientific journals and studies on this stuff. The amount of EMFs that we’re exposed to is not good for our health.
First, a little background.
So why is this even worth talking about on a functional health blog? For starters, wifi, cell phones and smart devices are extremely new to mainstream use across the world. One thing that’s interesting to note is that cell phones had no pre-market testing done before they hit the market. The scary part is that it’s been widely known that EMFs cause cancer long before cell phones were even available because of microwaves. In 1992 there was a pretty widely publicized case involving a rare epithelial tumor that a woman got from using her cell phone that ended up on Larry King Live. Point being, this connection has been widely known for quite some time. When asked how much more background radiation there is today vs. even 10 years ago, professor Olle Johansson at the Department Of Neuroscience for Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden said:
“The allowed radiation limits throughout the world are insane, to say the least. We are talking about values up to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 (10 to the 18th) times higher than nature’s background radiation…”
That’s a quintillion. Most people don’t even have a concept of how big that number is. Think about it. If you live in a condo, apartment or even most neighborhoods today with tiny yards and tons of houses packed in, within 100 feet of you, there are potentially over a hundred other devices. Wireless routers, cell phones, smart tv’s and appliances, Bluetooth, Amazon Echo’s, smart meter’s, iPad’s, laptops, etc.
One last bit of shock value here is some ’04 research out of Germany by Stelairova and Fourcher that demonstrated that 24 hour EMF exposure did more DNA damage than 1600 x-rays!
Who’s the most susceptible to the effects of EMFs?
I’m in no way making an exhaustive list here but more so wanting to point out what I see as the biggest offenders. These things literally make you sort of a lightning rod for EMF susceptibility:
- High heavy metal toxicity (mercury, arsenic, aluminum, etc.)
- Amalgam or gold tooth fillings
- Titanium hip replacements or screws from surgery
At least one of these you have some measure of control over. You can detox from heavy metals. Check out my toxicity post for more info.
How do EMFs harm our health?
Again, just hitting the low hanging fruit here. I’m going to highlight first what the harm is followed by another section on how to mitigate it with an answer corresponding to each number here. There’s a lot more but these are main things:
- EMFs are changing our bodies at a DNA based level
- Telomeres shortening (reduces longevity), reproductive health, cancer.
- Smashing your cell phone into your face for hours on end, sticking your cell phone in your bra, sitting in bed with a laptop right on top of your reproductive organs, etc.
- Lower melatonin levels from sleeping with EMF devices in the bedroom
- Melatonin levels are inversely related to cancer – less melatonin = more cancer.
- Melatonin turns off cortisol – high cortisol leads to dementia, alzheimers, lower testosterone levels in men & estrogen dominance in women.
- Too many EMFs create chaos in the body and activate the sympathetic nervous system
- Non-ionizing radiation triggers a biological response similar to microwave sound used for crowd control during riots. I’m not kidding.
- When the sympathetic nervous system takes over it causes you to be irrational and unable to think.
How do you mitigate your exposure to EMFs?
Again, the answers here correspond to the numbers above regarding how EMFs harm us.
- Stop putting EMF emitting devices directly in contact with your body
- Get all EMF emitting devices out of your bedroom – you spend about 1/3 of your life in there
- Turn off your cell phone when you sleep or at the very least, put it at least 5 feet away
- Unplug ANYTHING that’s plugged into an outlet near your head
- Get a bed without metal coils – they become conductors of EMFs
- Turn off any other EMF emitting devices like wireless routers, repeaters, etc.
- Get an EMF meter and check throughout your home for hot spots
- Pretend you’re one of the Ghostbusters and run around your house looking for areas where EMFs are high. Some typical shocking findings are that baby monitors and white noise machines are typically higher than wifi routers and cell phones. A lot higher.
- Use the EMF meter to test how far away you need to move things. Distance is very helpful.
- Consider becoming Amish.
- Airplane mode on your phone is your friend.
- Ask for an analog version of your smart meter if you have one or put an EMF shield on the back side of it.
- Mitigate iPad, cell phone, tv and computer use. Take technology “sabbaths” where you don’t use any electronic devices for a full day once a week. It’s amazing how much of a difference this makes.
- Start grounding/earthing, get grounding blankets and/or get some Himilayan salt lamps. This in turn allows for free radical build up from excessive EMF exposure to be neutralized.
So just to reiterate, there are tons of other detrimental health effects from the crazy amount of EMF exposure we’re experiencing today. This article was mainly a way to hit the low hanging fruit and to cover some of the biggest offenders. There’s a lot of research and studies on this topic so if you want to open that Pandora’s Box, be my guest. Suffice to say it’s something that we can no longer put our heads in the sand about. A small amount of awareness and change in this department will go a long way.
Full disclosure, I don’t get any money for any of the stuff I linked to in this article. I just wanted to give you some easy to find resources so it’s easier for you to take action. This is something I struggle with myself because so much of my life is dependent on technology. It’s definitely not the easiest thing to navigate. That said, I hope you’ll at least implement a few of the things outlined here. You’ll be glad you did!!
Questions? Comments? Recipes? Thing I’m a quack, tin foil hat wearing lunatic? Leave all that stuff in the comment section below. I’d love to hear from you!